Littleton Bicycle Shoppe was started in 1981 by Barry and Sally Field. Their first shop was only 13' wide and closed during the winter sharing its space with Neil Stafford's H&R Block office when he was just getting started. During the years the store has been in a couple locations in Downtown Littleton.
In May of 2003 Barry was killed in a motorcycle accident. Dave Harkless, his manager, ran it for the family for the rest of the season and purchased the business in the spring of 2004. In 2006 Dave bought the current location on Cottage St. and renovated it, at the same time changing the name of the business to Littleton Bike & Fitness to reflect the amount of fitness equipment business he does.
The current building was built around 1918 and was Downing's Garage for many years. It was the first building in town to have a sprinkler system. In the 70's, North East Glass took over the building and used to manufacture insulated windows there. Now it is a wonderful shop with plenty of light and high ceilings and a great view of the river out back.